Back to Contents
Roy Williams has sent me this wonderful photo of 3 MGs outside the Abercorn Arms Hotel. His MGA is in the middle, the TD was travelling from Cairo to Cape and the TF belonged to a telephone engineer. A rare sight in those parts in 1958.
An aerial view of Abercorn (now Mbala) from the south. The main road stretches up from the left crossing the watercourse fringed by the mbala palms which provided the new name. The Tanzanian hills can be seen in the distance.
This view shows the main road with the War Memorial in the middle of the roundabout. When the main road was re-aligned there was an attempt to move the Memorial which was successfully resisted by many of the older residents.
The large complex is a church and hospital run by the White Fathers.
To the right of the Memorial, at the next junction was the Parton's garage with the Abercorn Arms further to the right.
Well behind the Abercorn Arms is the new United Church of Zambia church with the minister's house to the right.
The building on the right is the Tanganyika and Victoria Memorial Institute or the 'TVMI'.
The TVMI was founded in 1902 but this building, on the original site, was built in 1950. Abercorn was in the Tanganyika District of Northern Rhodesia. The building was intended as a cultural centre and included a library with some 5200 books.
The red roofed building was Kellet the butcher's shop
The Boma was the administrative headquarters of a district. This boma is its the third site since the district was started by HG Marshall in 1893. The original site at Zombe was renamed Abercorn after the Duke of Abercorn who was then the President of the BSA Company. This was to prevent confusion with Commissioner Consul General's headquarters at Zomba.
United Church of Zambia. Just visible, hanging from the tree, is the church "bell". Funds had obviously not yet run to a proper bell but an old lorry wheel probably provided an effective substitute.
All Saints' Church. The building was designed as an inter-denominational church by Owen Abel of the London Missionary Society in 1950. It was completed in 1955.
The organ was presented by Mrs Keigwin, wife of the Commissioner for Rural Development, in memory of her parents who were missionaries in Northern Rhodesia. They had been stationed at Kambole Mission. The round, stained glass window was designed and donated by Sir Frank Salisbury, KCVO. The lectern, two seats. a large bible, two brass candlesticks, a missal holder and a hymn board all came from bombed London churches. The silver gilt christening bowl was given by Mr and Mrs DA Ogilvie, one time Cadet in Abercorn in memory of their infant son Justin. The bowl is by Omar Ramsden.
Our house in Abercorn was of the '3M' design. In the background are massive blue gums. The climber in front of the house is Golden Shower.
Back to Contents